A Couple Of Korean Stir-fry Favorites
This week Mia Kim of Salon Blanc visits the show to prepare the following recipe. This show aired originally in May 2009.
* 1 8-ounce packet long rice (dried sweet potato starch noodles)
* 1 onion, thinly sliced
* 4 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes and thinly sliced
* 1 packet enoki mushrooms
* 1/2 cup dried black mushrooms, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes and thinly sliced
* 1 carrot, thinly sliced
* 1 yellow bell pepper
* 1 10-ounce bag fresh spinach
* 1 large egg, lightly beaten
* 1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
For Marinade (noodles and vegetables):
* 4 tablespoons soy sauce
* 2-4 tablespoons sugar
* 2 tablespoons sesame seed oil
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon black or white pepper
* 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
* 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook noodles for 5-8 minutes. Drain well, then season with 23 tablespoons of marinade.
Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a pan and add the egg to make a very thin omelet. Cut into thin strips and set aside for garnish.
Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in the same pan. Add the shiitake mushrooms and 1 tablespoon of the marinade and 2 tablespoons water; cook until tender.
Heat the remaining oil in a wok over medium heat. Add the onion and stir-fry until transparent.
Add carrots, bell pepper, all mushrooms and spinach. Add 1 tablespoon of the marinade and a pinch of salt and pepper.
Stir-fry the vegetables until they are tender and the liquid has evaporated.
Toss the noodles into the wok and stir-fry until noodles are transparent. Add remaining sauce, if needed.
Garnish with fried egg and sesame seeds.
(Watch “Sam Choyâ€™s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL News 8.)