Trout And Potatoes With A Tasty Flair
This week Chef Martin Wyss and cookbook author Muriel Miura visit the show to prepare the following recipes.
This show aired originally in November 2009.
For Mushroom Sauce:
* 1/2 pound mushrooms, cleaned and sliced thin
* 1/4 cup white wine
* few drops lemon juice
* 1 chicken bouillon cube or 1 scant teaspoon chicken base
* pinch white pepper
* 1 tablespoon butter or canola oil
* 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
* 1/4 cup whipping cream
* few drops Maggi seasoning
* salt and white pepper, to taste
Place mushrooms, white wine, lemon juice, chicken base and white pepper in saucepan; bring to a boil. Simmer over medium heat until mushrooms are tender and cooked through.
Remove from heat and set aside. In another saucepan, make a roux: Melt butter over low heat, whisk in flour, stirring constantly. Strain mushroom liquid into roux; bring to a boil and add cream, mushrooms and Maggi and simmer gently for a few minutes. Check seasoning; add salt and white pepper if necessary.
Set aside; keep warm.
* 8 pieces (2-3 ounces each) trout fillet (or mahimahi, sole, perch or snapper)
* salt, to taste
* lemon juice
* 2 eggs, beaten
* 1/2 stick butter or 2 tablespoons canola oil
* 2 bananas, sliced lengthwise, quartered
* Mushroom Sauce (recipe above) For Garnish:
* chopped parsley
* lemon wedges
Season fish fillets with salt and lemon juice. Dust with flour and dip in egg; sautÃ© in butter or oil one to two minutes.
Place fish on mushroom sauce. SautÃ© bananas in 1 tablespoon butter or canola oil and place on top of fish.
For extra flavor and calories, pour a little brown butter over it, if desired.
Sprinkle with chopped parsley and garnish with lemon wedges.
* 2 tablespoons canola oil
* 2 slices bacon, chopped 2 tablespoons butter 2 tablespoons chopped round onion
* 4 cups frozen hash browns (grated cooked potatoes)
* salt and pepper, to taste
* 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
Heat nonstick flat skillet; add oil, bacon and butter. When the bacon is three-quarters cooked, add onions and sautÃ© for another minute. Add hash browns; add salt and pepper to taste and sautÃ© for two minutes or so.
Mix and pat into round skillet. Brown evenly on both sides until crisp and golden.
Slide onto platter and sprinkle with chopped parsley.