Call Or Text Japan For Free
My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims of the devastating earthquake and tsunami we recently witnessed in Japan, especially since I know several people there and it is a country I love to visit frequently. It is sad to watch the death toll rise and the radiation crisis unfold.
If you have loved ones in Japan, I’m sure you’ve been scrambling to contact them. AT&T and Verizon Wireless are offering free calls and texts to Japan.
Effective now through March 31, AT&T customers will not be charged for international long-distance usage from the United States and Puerto Rico to Japan, as well as text messages.
Additionally, by texting “redcross” to 90999 you’ll donate $10 to the Red Cross to assist with disaster-support efforts in Japan.
“We want to help our customers connect with loved ones in Japan in any way we can,” says Mark Collins, senior vice president, Voice and Data Products, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. “Connecting with family and friends is most important at times like this – we want to make it as easy and worry-free as possible for our customers.”
Similarly, for Verizon Wireless customers, calls, text/multimedia messaging to Japan from the U.S. are free now through April 10. As far as relief causes, you have more options. By sending a text message to any of following, you’ll donate $10:
* ADRA Relief: Text SUPPORT to 85944
* American Red Cross Relief: Text REDCROSS to 90999
* Convoy of Hope: Text TSUNAMI or SUNAMI to 50555
* GlobalGiving: Text JAPAN to 50555
* International Medical Corps: Text MED to 80888
* Mercy Corps: Text MERCY to 25383
* Salvation Army: Text JAPAN to 80888
* Save the Children Federation Inc.: Text JAPAN or TSUNAMI to 20222
* World Relief Corp. of National Association of Evangelicals: Text WAVE to 50555
* World Vision Inc.: Text 4JAPAN or 4TSUNAMI to 20222
I encourage you to take advantage of these free minutes/texts and donate to this worthy cause.