Terrific Thai Tastes Made Easy
On this weekâ€™s show, Sam Choyâ€™s BLC sous chef Somphet Chanhpheng shares the following recipe. This show aired originally in February 2009.
* 8 ounces dried wide rice noodles
* 1/4 cup fish sauce
* 3 tablespoons tamarind juice
* 2 tablespoons brown sugar
* 3 tablespoons peanut oil
* 12 ounces diced chicken thigh meat
* 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
* 1/2 cup sliced round onion
* 1 fresh red chili pepper, sliced
* 1 large egg, lightly beaten
* 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
* 1 lime, cut into small wedges
* 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
* 1/4 cup fresh chives, 1-inch cut
Soak the noodles in cool or lukewarm water for 30 minutes or until they are limp but still firm to touch; cooking in the wok will soften them more. Drain noodles thoroughly in a colander and set aside.
In a small bowl, mix fish sauce, tamarind juice and sugar. stir well to melt sugar. Taste and adjust flavors to the desired combination of salty, sour and sweet.
heat a wok over medium-high heat until it is smoking hot. add 1 tablespoon oil and cook the chicken thoroughly. When the chicken is done, put it aside. add remaining oil to the wok and toss in the garlic, round onion and chili. stir-fry for 30 seconds.
Push the garlic and onion to one side of the wok and pour the egg into the center. scramble the egg lightly until set, breaking into pieces with a spatula. add drained noodles to the wok, stirring and tossing quickly with two spatulas to separate the strands.
Pour in the fish sauce mixture, tossing well to coat the noodles to keep them from sticking (if the noodles are still too firm, drizzle with 1 to 2 tablespoons of water to help them cook). When the noodles are cooked, toss in 1/2 cup of the bean sprouts and chives. continue to stir-fry until combined.
Return cooked chicken to the wok and toss the pad Thai together to heat through. serve on a platter and top with the remaining bean sprouts and cilantro leaves.
Garnish with lime wedges and squeeze lime juice over each portion.
SOMPHET’S SPRING ROLLS
* 2 tablespoons salad oil
* 1/2 cup sliced round onion
* 3/4 cup sliced celery
* 3/4 cup carrots, sliced matchstick-size
* 3/4 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
* 1/4 bundle long rice, soaked in water for 45 minutes
* salt and pepper, to taste
* 12 spring roll wrappers
* 1 egg
* oil, for deep-frying
Heat a medium sautÃ© pan and add salad oil. Quickly sautÃ© vegetables until translucent. season with salt and pepper. cool before rolling. make individual spring rolls by using wrappers and sealing with egg wash.
Heat oil. Fry spring rolls until golden brown and very crispy.
For dipping sauce:
* 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
* 3 stems finely chopped mint leaves
* 1/3 cup sweet chili sauce
* 3 tablespoons white vinegar
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 1 Thai or Hawaiian chili pepper, minced
* salt, to taste combine all ingredients and mix well.
Watch “Sam Choy’s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL.